In our previous blog, SEO: The Basics we covered what SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is, why it is important and the first basic steps that go into the back-end planning stages of setting up your website so it can be easily found by users.
Now for part 2 of our blog series, let’s delve a little further into the SEO equation and take you through a step by step checklist of how to lay the foundation in making your website as SEO-friendly and find-able as possible.
- Research Your Domain Name – At this point, you have probably already chosen your domain name (if not see if yours is available with our domain name checker HERE) It’s a good idea to find out if the domain name you have chosen has been previously used and if there is any negativity floating around the web associated with it. You can use our ‘WhoIs’ search tool HERE
- Know Your Web Host – It is imperative you choose a reliable web host – one that keeps your site running 24/7 and offers lightening fast speed. Two things that mean a lot not only to the end users, but can also make or break your SEO ranking. Here at KartHost™ we pride ourselves in being on the cutting edge of what we do in order to deliver to you faster site performance, more security, and round the clock, personal support.
- Get An SSL Certificate – HTTPS is the secure version of HTTP. Google uses this SSL certificate when in their SERP’s and labels sites as “not secure” that do not use one – a sure deterrent for users when opening websites. KartHost™ provides free SSL certificates with all our hosting packages. Read more on SSL HERE
- Choose an SEO-Friendly Theme – In WordPress your theme allows you to customize your site. Themes control your site’s layout, content display, and design. When choosing a theme look for developers that mark their themes as SEO-optimized. Also choose a them that has a responsive design and a fast loading speed. Take Google’s mobile-friendly site test HERE
- Add Plugins – There are plugins for everything, including boosting your SEO and ones to cache your site to increase download speed. Research what works best for the type of site you are creating. We recommend Yoast as a good starting plugin for SEO.